KABUL, Afghanistan — More than a dozen people believed to have been foreign contractors were killed in a suicide bombing in Kabul, the Afghan capital, on Monday, according to police and government officials.
The Taliban quickly claimed responsibility for the attack.
The dead were all Nepalese who were riding in a minibus to work when the bomber attacked, said police officials in the eastern part of Kabul, where the attack happened. Sediq Sediqqi, the spokesman for the Ministry of Interior, put the death toll at 14, with eight more people wounded, some of whom might also have been civilians.
It was one of the deadliest attacks against foreign workers to have been carried out in the capital. Nepalese often work as security guards at embassies and other foreign installations around Kabul, and they are typically housed in barracks and bused to their jobs.
The attacker was apparently on foot, wearing a vest of explosives, according to initial police reports, although officials stressed that the episode was still under investigation.
In a separate Taliban attack on Monday, a member of Kabul’s provincial council was wounded along with two other people when an explosive device detonated about 40 paces from the council member’s home, the authorities said.
The bombings were the first major attacks in the capital during the holy month of Ramadan. Officials at the United Nations have called for a cease-fire during Ramadan, an appeal that Taliban insurgents have rejected.
Zabihullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, made the claims of responsibility on Twitter and gave a higher death toll for the bus bombing, saying that 20 foreign guards had been killed.