Stedman Bailey of St. Louis Rams Hospitalized After Being Shot


Photo

Stedman Bailey during a game against the Minnesota Vikings on Nov. 8. He had 12 receptions so far this season.

Credit
Jeff Haynes/Associated Press

Stedman Bailey, a receiver for the St. Louis Rams, was shot in Florida on Tuesday evening, ESPN reported.

The Rams said in a brief statement early Wednesday that Mr. Bailey, 25, was hospitalized and that he was in critical but stable condition. The team did not provide further details.

“We are gathering facts about the situation and will provide updates as we learn more,” the statement said.

Mr. Bailey was sitting in a car in Miami Gardens with several people when he was shot, the city’s police department said in a statement on Wednesday. Mr. Bailey and another passenger, Antwan Reeves, were shot when another vehicle pulled up and an occupant opened fire. There were two minors in the car, and the other passengers were not injured, the police said.

The police are still searching for a suspect.

Earlier this month, Mr. Bailey was suspended for four games after he was found to have violated the N.F.L.’s substance abuse policy. He was also suspended for four games in 2014 for violating the league’s policy on performance-enhancing drugs (that suspension was later reduced to two games).

Mr. Bailey, a South Florida native who was drafted in the third round out of West Virginia University in 2013, holds several school records at West Virginia, including most receiving yardage in a game and in a season.

He has played mostly as a backup in the N.F.L. so far. He has four career touchdowns, including a memorable punt return last season on a trick play in which the Rams lured the Seattle Seahawks to one side of the field while Mr. Bailey fielded the ball unnoticed at the other side.

Last week, Mr. Bailey acknowledged his suspension in a post on Instagram, and said that he hoped to “make amends” as he prepared to return to the field.

“I put both my coaches & my teammates in a bad position by regrettably partaking in a disgraceful activity,” he wrote, adding, “my environment & how I grew up isn’t an excuse.”



Source link

About admin

Check Also

North Korean Soccer Talent Tests Defenses and Sanctions

Han, now 19, is North Korean. He arrived in Italy three years ago through an ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *