Florida State Freshman Quarterback Is Charged With Battery


Photo

Florida State quarterback De’Andre Johnson during the school’s spring game in April.

Credit
Stacy Revere/Getty Images North America

A freshman quarterback at Florida State has been charged with battery after an altercation at a Tallahassee, Fla., bar in which he punched a woman in the face, the police said.

A state court on Tuesday issued a warrant for the arrest of the quarterback, De’Andre Johnson, less than a week after the episode. Florida State Coach Jimbo Fisher indefinitely suspended Johnson, 19, “for a violation of athletic department policy.”

The warrant said that on June 24 at the nightclub Yianni’s, Abigail Husty was at the bar attempting to order a drink and confronted Johnson after she was pushed from behind. Husty raised her arm in self-defense; Johnson grabbed it. She continued to attempt to defend herself, according to the warrant, and twice shouted, “No.”

Johnson punched her in the face and left the bar, according to the warrant.

The warrant said that Husty wanted to press charges, and that her account was corroborated with video from the scene. The Tallahassee Police Department said the video could not be released because it is evidence.

Johnson and Husty could not be reached Tuesday. A manager at the nightclub declined to comment.

The case is the latest off-the-field complaint against a member of the Florida State football team. The 2013 Heisman Trophy winner, Jameis Winston, who was picked No. 1 in this year’s N.F.L. draft by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, was accused of rape in late 2012, but after a short investigation prosecutors declined to charge him.

Johnson, who is from Jacksonville, Fla., would be competing for the job of succeeding Winston as starting quarterback with Everett Golson, a transfer from Notre Dame with one year of eligibility remaining; Sean Maguire, a junior; and a fellow freshman, Deondre Francois.

As a prep standout, Johnson was named Florida’s Mr. Football last year.



Source link

About admin

Check Also

How the Astros Went From Nowhere to the Brink of the World Series

In 2012, the Astros used the first pick to choose Carlos Correa, now their superstar ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *